“Love one another—as I have loved you”
– John 13:34
Come to me, all you that are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. -Matthew 11:28
Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. -Galatians 6:2
We believe God has called us to be God’s hands and feet in the world. Our mission is to bring the presence of Christ to those who are hurting through gifted and trained Stephen Ministers. Stephen Ministers provide Christ-centered, one-on-one, confidential care to people who are hurting. We act as the “care-givers” while faithfully believing that Jesus is the “cure-giver.”
WHAT IS STEPHEN MINISTRY?
While pastors will always be on the front lines of care, especially during times of crises, there are always many more needs for ongoing, one-to-one care than they can effectively meet by themselves. Stephen Ministry provides a biblical solution—equipping God’s people for ministry. Gifted lay people are trained to support and extend the care that pastors continue to provide.
Our congregation’s Stephen Ministry equips lay people to provide confidential, one-to-one Christian care to individuals in our congregation and the greater Lehigh Valley community who are experiencing difficulties in their lives.
WHO ARE THE STEPHEN MINISTERS?
A Stephen Minister is…
A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting
- A congregation member with gifts for caregiving who was carefully selected to serve in this role
- A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in providing emotional and spiritual care
- A caring Christian friend who listens, cares, prays, supports, and encourages
- Someone who will “be there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for about an hour each week for as long as there is a need
WHAT KINDS OF “DIFFICULT TIMES” ARE PEOPLE WHO REQUEST A STEPHEN MINISTER GOING THROUGH?
We all experience challenges in life—times when we could benefit from the support of a caring Christian friend such as:
- Loss of a loved one
- A chronic illness
- Recovery after a disaster
- Job crisis
- Divorce or separation
- Spiritual crisis
- A terminal illness
- Birth, adoption, miscarriage
- Recovery after an accident
- And many more…
WHO ARE STEPHEN LEADERS?
Stephen Leaders are trained lay members of our congregation who oversee and direct Stephen Ministry here at FPCA.
- If you or someone you know could benefit from the care of a Stephen Minister…
- If you are interested in possibly becoming a Stephen Minister…
- If you have any other questions about Stephen Ministry…
TALK WITH ONE OF OUR STEPHEN LEADERS
TALK WITH ONE OF OUR PASTORS OR CALL THE CHURCH OFFICE: (610) 395-3781
All requests for Stephen Ministers are kept strictly confidential!
Rev. Lindsay Harren-Lewis
WHAT IS STEPHEN MINISTRY ST LOUIS?
Stephen Ministries St Louis is a not-for-profit Christian educational organization based in St Louis, Missouri. Founded in 1975. Stephen Ministries provides training and resources to thousands of congregations worldwide.
STEPHEN MINISTRY IS YOUR MINISTRY
You play an important role in our Stephen Ministry here at First Presbyterian Church of Allentown! Here’s what you can do:
- Pray for God to bring hope and healing to hurting people through our Stephen Ministry
- Accept care from a Stephen Minister during your time of need. God doesn’t expect you to bear your burdens alone
- Tell a friend, neighbor, coworker, or relative who is hurting about our Stephen Ministry.
- Prayerfully consider becoming a Stephen Minister if you are a good listener and a compassionate person
- Please join us in the following prayer for our ongoing ministry: